Pages

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Diva Coffee Break Designs Challenge #160

At first glance this color combo did not look too bad, but when I sat down to do it, man it killed me.  I kept wanting to add more, but I could not.  Here is the challenge:

color160

Really, no colors, just neutrals.  I chose to use basic gray because that is what I had the most of.  This is a card that turned out completely different than I had envisioned.  I was going for a vintage-y card because I thought that would be one of the easiest ways to use the colors.  But then I inked up the wrong texture plate and everything changed from there.  Here is what the card ended up looking like:

dcbd160I am pretty happy with the way that it turned out.  The sentiment was created by stamping the whole image in my basic gray ink pad and then coloring the word heart with my basic black marker.  I created the basic gray and black polka-dotted paper by brayering some basic black ink onto the small polka dotted texturz plate, then you just put your sandwich together like normal and run it through the big shot.  (I did put a piece of computer paper between my basic gray and the rubber embossing mat thing to protect it from the black ink.)  I really love the new scalloped edge border and corner punches, it is so awesome that the border punch is free but I am bummed that it wont be around forever because it is totally my favorite.  I am also just noticing that I need to change the blade in my paper cutter because there is a little fraying on the top left edge, but I will go back over that with my sanding block to fix it easy peasy. 

Ok so I finally got that card done, and I had a really hard time refraining from adding a touch of color, so many different colors would have worked.  So I quickly made a second card with a little bit of color thrown in.

  dcbd160v2

Don’t forget to head over to the Diva Blog to check out the other great samples and play along too! 

Stamps:  Whimsical Words

Ink:  Basic Black pad and marker, Basic Gray (and on the 2nd card real red marker)

Paper:  Whisper White, Basic Gray, Basic Black (2nd card also has real red)

Accessories:  Whisper White Taffetta ribbon, stampin’ dimensionals

Tools:  Scallop Trim border and corner punches, full heart punch, big shot and texturz plate, brayer

Pin It Now!

6 comments:

Robin McK said...

Both of the cards are STUNNING! You did a grea job!

Tammy said...

Gorgeous Cards!!!! Love them!

JudyB said...

I like both of the cards you did! I must say, am with you with adding the color! Thanks for sharing!

Billie A said...

beautiful cards, both just wonderful. I look at those colors and think no way but you did it and it looks so awesome.

Jen Mitchell said...

I just found your blog. I love your clean style. These two cards are fabulous.

Becky Jensen said...

Congratulations! I just wanted you to know that your project will appear on the Yahoo Group Late Night Stamper’s blog finds of the day for January 21!